On May 22, 2018, according to news agency ANI, at least 9 people were killed during the protests held in Tuticorin demanding ban on Sterlite Industries, in wake of the pollution concerns in Tamil Nadu.
Here is what really happened and how the violence started: Link
On May 23, 2018 Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Palaniswami announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for the families of each of those killed in the Tuticorin protests against the Sterlite plant. Link
On May 28, 2018 the state government of Tamil Nadu ordered a permanent shut down of Tuticorin factory. Link
Meanwhile in the Bay Area on September 19, 2018 Govindaraman Ravikumar, Jeyaseelan Jebakumar and an unknown male gathered to protest during an event where IT Minister of Tamil Nadu, Dr. M.Manikandan spoke. The Government of Tamil Nadu is driving an initiative to grow their startup ecosystem and as part of this initiative, Dr. M.Manikandan spoke at this event to attract investors and form global partnerships.
Jeyaseelan, one of the protesters, emailed their expectation and reasons for the protest to us. In his words:
1. Vedanta corporation should clean the environment including water air and soil in Tutucorin. TN government should force them to do it otherwise they shouldn’t be allowed to start any other project in India or Tamil Nadu.
2. All the people who affected by their pollution should be treated by world class medicine to get their life back.
3. Government is trying to re-open Sterlite factory which should not happen
4. Any summit happened here in USA or EUROPE with educated people projected in bad way to cheat uneducated people in Tamilnadu.
5. Since the corruption is too high, investor end-up in pulling out after sometime.
Share your thoughts:
What are your thoughts on the Bay Area protesters reasons for the protest? Is the IT Minister’s initiative to attract foreign investors a good idea for the Tamil Nadu government given the current state of affairs in the state?
#TamilNadu #Thoothukudi #Tutucorin #SterliteProtest #SterliteProtestMay22nd2018 #BanSterlite #SterliteProtestshootout #Vedanta #INDTVUSA